Do’s and Don’ts of Reciprocal Teaching
- There is no one right way to teach reciprocal teaching or one right order in which to introduce the steps.
- Before students can use the four strategies simultaneously, they will need practice with each individual strategy.
- Teaching one strategy alone can be a good comprehension mini-lesson, but it is not reciprocal teaching. Reciprocal teaching involves using ALL four strategies simultaneously for the purpose of constructing meaning.
- Reciprocal teaching was designed as an interactive discussion technique. Refrain from the temptation of having students complete the strategies in worksheet form.
- Corrective feedback is crucial to the success of reciprocal teaching.
- Reciprocal teaching alone is not enough to constitute a comprehensive reading program. It is just one tool. Students need exposure to other comprehension strategies.