This is one of my FAVORITE books for teaching students how to live like a writer. In Cracking Open the Author’s Craft, Lester Laminack uses his picture book memoir Saturdays and Teacakes to show how a writer intentionally uses visual and auditory craft moves to affect the reader.
Here is a video snippet of Lester teaching about visual and auditory author’s craft moves.
Some special features of this resource include:
- 15 ready-to-use writing and close reading mini-lessons
- A DVD of Lester teaching the lessons
- The 5-step process of “reading like a writer”
- Lester reading aloud Saturdays and Teacakes
- Suggestions of additional mentor texts that can be used to teach author’s craft